WHY STUDY WITH IAN SCOTT KETTLE?
Ian has taught for the last 18 years at globally renowned Central Saint Martins where he is currently the course leader of the Fashion FESP (Free Elective Semester Program) for international degree students looking to Study Abroad for a semester of their education. He has also lectured at The Victoria & Albert Museum, London College of Fashion, Chelsea College of Art and overseas at Parsons The New School Paris, UAL Buenos Aires, International Creative Art and in China, at both the Design Academy and Light & Shadow Fashion Design Academy.
Ian has combined his extensive teaching career with over 25 years of independent and prêt-à-porter fashion industry experience as a freelance designer, studio manager and master pattern cutter, alongside running his own successful men’s bespoke accessory company.
With his combined experience in teaching and industry, Ian has a broad understanding of the demands of being both a design practitioner as well as a student of fashion and takes pleasure in sharing his vast knowledge with his students.
To become a competitive and relevant designer in today’s intense and over-saturated markets you need to develop a clear and relevant style.
Mentoring offers the opportunity of Individual, or very small group tuition, allowing you the luxury of focusing on your own specific study needs.
From my London studio, I will guide you through the design process, from the initial concept to the final presentation of a fully proposed collection line-up. Focusing on your personal approach to the subject as the catalyst for defining your design language.
We will cover a diverse range of research and design techniques as you generate the work necessary to arrive at a well-explored, creative and relevant outcome.
This opportunity is for those wanting to
- Develop a portfolio for application to university (degree level and above)
- Develop a product to take to market
- Start up a design driven business
- Intermediate - Advanced
Typical skills to be developed throughout the mentoring
- How to conduct a diagnostic review of your design process and intended market
- Writing a Seasonal design brief
- How to research & design (using current methodologies)
- Preliminary Sketching and development of design work
- How to review Fashion as a visual resource for design
- Texture Sourcing: Fabrication and innovation of surface
- Understanding colour palette & visual merchandising
- Enhancing design development skills
- Range planning & line-up development
- Line-up review
- Ability to achieve a cohesive visual narrative in your work
- 2D to 3D experimentation as design analysis
- Show fashion awareness in creative choice making
- Design development skills
- Resolved collection proposal
- Skills in fashion communication
- Practical application and guidance on your next steps
HOW TO APPLY
Please contact me by email or complete an Expression of Interest form. You will then be invited to attend a 2 hour consultation to generally advise and establish whether my sessions are a good direction for you to take.
The consultation will last 2 hours and can take the form of a portfolio review (of existing work) or, if you have no work to show we can agree a set project to be presented before being accepted as a student on the 5-session program.
You will also be given general direction and professional advice regarding your intended creative journey.
- £90 (to be paid in-full and in advance of your consultation)
£135 Per 3 hour session
£600 for 5 x 3 hour sessions
To be paid in-full, in advance of your first session
Group Option: (2 - 4 Students)
Suitable for design teams or partners
£100 Per 3 hour session (per student)
£450 for 5 x 3 hour sessions (per student)
To be paid for in full and in advance of your first session
Each 3 hour session:10.30am - 1.30pm (unless arranged otherwise) with date(s) to be agreed in advance
Note: If you arrive late without 24hrs notice the session will still end at 1.30pm (no refunds)
Extra Tutorials: (minimum booking notice: 48Hrs)
- £45 Per 1 hour tutorial
All consultations, workshops & tutorials to be paid for in full and in advance of your first sessions