Please join me for a two-day fashion seminar.
Using vivid and engaging visuals this entertaining and informative series of presentations will offer an insight into the workings of the fashion industry from the perspective of an independent designer.
During this weekend seminar I shall lay out the UK market system and identify the positioning of key brands and designers, to reflect on the way they communicate with their audience (or tribe).
We will discuss the complex issues facing designers today, as well as attempting to navigate the complex and diverse industry in search of the future of fashion.
THIS OPPORTUNITY IS FOR:
- The design practitioner
- Those considering a career in the fashion industry
- Design driven business start-ups
- The sartorially curious
- The curious - Intermediate – Advanced (all events are catered to the level of the clients)
- MORNING SESSION: 10-11-30AM
- COFFEE BREAK: 11.30-12PM
- WORKSHOP: 12-1.30PM
- LUNCH BREAK: 1.30--2.30PM
- AFTERNOON SESSION: 2.30-4.30PM
DATE: (contact for details)
TOPICS OF DISCUSSION
- Exploring methods of R&D: Research & design
- Deconstruct the 5 elements of fashion trend analysis: detail – colour – texture – silhouette – mood
- Focusing on Colour as Commercial Palette
- Identify available textile sourcing & innovations
Laying out the design journey of a collection as a key to understanding and developing your own processes and product.
We will observe how other designers use the storytelling potential of the collection to communicate with their customer (tribe) So we can begin to identify our own design intentions.
We will discuss the positioning of the design process within the supply chain and how designers communicate ideas to the wider industry and why innovation is the key focus of most brands.
We will focus on the current independent and aspirational design marketand Identify the emergence of potential new practices
Look at trend communication and argue that the current idea that trend is now obsolete.
1. ESTABLISHING A CONCEPT
By focusing on individual garments and their specific retail purposes we can begin to understand how to deliver a focused, purposeful product.
- The Fashion 5: Garment & wearer
- Range Planning: Laying out its necessary components: Directional - repeat - on-trend & innovation lead garments.
- Explore ways that fashion communication has evolved.
From the, once relevant, sartorial magazine with their biting critique and informative visual language, to the revolution of the modern blogger and instagram generation. Where is it all heading and how can a new designer get noticed?
- Establish Market Specific ideas that relate to a focused customer (tribe)
- Begin to understand where new methods of presentation, delivery and consumption may occur.
- Innovations in Fashion Communicating
- Consider why traditional systems of delivery are perhaps no longer the most efficient.
- Looking at the supply chain to understand the order of events that bring products to market
1. COLOR BOARDING & VOSUAL MERCHANDISING
- Questions and interaction from participants will be encouraged, so it’s a good opportunity to meet with the like-minded.
- Key elements of each seminar will be digitally available as a record of the evening topics.
- Refreshments are supplied: water, juice, Tea & Coffee, pastries
Ian was an amazing professor and gave insight into the process of concept to design and creation. He really changed my view of how to approach a concept and research a topic thoroughly through firsthand experiences. Moreover, he taught me how to identify who I am as a designer at a crucial point in my studies. I cannot thank Ian enough for his knowledge from concept, research, design, and technical detail. The lectures he gave us and the in-class assistants was helpful each day. He spoke and taught us with encouragement and inspiration and made it his priority that each student got attention and proper guidance.
Studied Fashion Design at Central Saint Martins
on my FESP program 2018